Formal dress shirts are the beauty of any corporate sector, and it is office attire worldwide. If you are working in one of them, you must agree that you cannot go to the office wearing an unpressed shirt. Ironing the shirt is necessary for everyone, but when it comes to choosing the best steam iron for dress shirts in 2020, it is such a daunting task. No worries!
We have interviewed professional laundry guys and ironing experts to know which steam iron is best specifically for formal shirts. We have listed down the 5 best steam irons for this purpose.
5 Best Steam Irons for Dress Shirts
1. Russell Hobbs Powersteam Ultra Steam Iron 20630 – (Editors Pick)
Russel Hobbs, a famous British home appliance company, introduced its steam iron named Russell Hobbs Powersteam Ultra 20630. It comes with all the advanced features required to press the dress shirt correctly. Moreover, its ceramic soleplate has button grooves (unique cut-out) on both sides, which makes the ironing comfortable around the buttons of the shirt.
Steam delivery is up to the mark and fits for formal wear. It is equipped with 3100-watt power so it will be heated up quickly and you don’t have to wait longer for it. Toughest wrinkles are no problem for this iron because of its water spray and efficient steam function. It’s ideal for shirts, skirts, formal coats and pants for both genders.
2. Rowenta Steam Force Steam Iron DW9230 – (Editors Choice)
This iron has a unique high precision tip on the front side. It helps iron to reach difficult areas of a garment. Such as collar and box plate of shirt, fastenings, and under pocket side.
It also has a high power of 2350 watts and delivers efficient results. Steam quality is valuable and melts down stumbled wrinkles in no time. You are not going to face any difficulty using this iron for dress shirts and formal wear.
Because of its anti-calcium feature, unique soleplate design, and professional finish, we have counted it as Top Pick on our list of “best steam iron for dress shirts.”
3. CHI Steam Iron 13101
Next in our list is a premium-quality steam iron for dress shirts, from a world-renowned company. CHI 13101 steam iron has impressive matte chrome accents that enhance its looks. The reason why we added this in our list is titanium infused ceramic soleplate and 10 ft long cord.
Titanium itself is a durable anti resistant material, and it making a great combo while in combination with ceramic. It has no unique grooves but has a narrow tip on the front side. Wrinkle removing with a professional finish. We knew it is all you can expect from good quality clothing iron. It has an embossed pattern on a handle which enhances grip. It also makes ironing more comfortable.
Moreover, it has 300+ steam holes, which ensure an excellent steam rate. It also gives you a dedicated knob for temperature and steam control while all other essential features are present in this model.
4. Rowenta DW5080 Focus Steam Iron
This model of steam iron gained popularity worldwide, and it is most selling steam iron. Unlike CHI, it has a stainless steel soleplate on which 400 microholes engraved for enhanced steam delivery.
As far as quality is concerned, so far it is the best one in its price range, although it lacks the latest additional features such as a digital display and all that stuff. Hmm, and it’s not essential, though!
Another feature that will impress you is its high precision tip. This tip helps to press challenging-to-reach areas of dress shirt such as a collar, pleats, fastenings, and box plate. We have tested its efficiency and found that it is in no way lesser than other brands. Equipped with 1700 watt power, delivers a powerful shot of steam and heats up in less than 2 minutes. Because of its quality and demand, we have also added it to the list of Best steam irons for clothes.
5. Shark Professional Steam Iron
Shark professional steam iron has a 9.5-inch stainless steel soleplate with a little narrow tip as well. Overall it has a solid feel as its weight is about 3.57 lbs. It is acceptable for ironing dress shirts; because of its mass, you don’t need to apply further downward pressure to smoothen the severe wrinkles.
It is engineered with 1800 watt of power. It’s steam quality is not good, and people were also complaining about it. The steam button stops working after some time. During our test, we found that it has optimum heating time and enough steam quantity.
Durability features such as Anti calcium, safety features such as auto turn off are present in this model.
Auto shut off function is also not performing well for some users. Upon testing it on a dress shirt, it fades the wrinkles, and the narrow tip reached every bit of the shirt.
It has a large 300ml (10.14 Oz) water tank, so it does not require frequent refills during the ironing process. Its performance is not so good as CHI or Russel Hobbs. Only choose this option if you have a limited budget.
Our Top Picks
As you have read the reviews of the best steam irons for dress shirts. Now you want to invest your money wisely in the perfect one. So I recommend you to go with Russell Hobbs Powersteam Ultra Steam Iron 20630. And my second recommendation is Rowenta Steam Force Steam Iron DW9230.
Both the recommendations have specially designed soleplate manufactured while keeping in view the parts of dress shirts. Although its all upon you to choose. In the list, all models have high power watts and enough steam quality. So by selecting any steam iron from the list, you will not face any issue in results and performance.
Any currently great deals?
Features to consider while purchasing the Best Steam Iron for Dress Shirts:
Almost, all steam irons are similar but when we look closely at specific features that fit best for ironing dress shirts, we have to consider some factors.
Soleplate design and material
The design of the soleplate enhances usability while the material of the soleplate ensures proper heat distribution to the fabric. Design is the main factor in ironing dress shirts. Some soleplates have specially designed cut-outs that enable them to iron difficult areas of the shirt. Such as most of Rowenta models such as the latest Rowenta Everlast steam iron have a narrow precision tip at the front that helps to reach collar areas and pleats easily as compared to regular irons.
Buton groove is specially designed, partially circular cut-out on both sides of the soleplate. It helps to iron the fabric around the buttons. Russel Hobbs power steam ultra iron has such a designed soleplate and it ensures a professional smooth finish on an overall shirt. We have also attached a reference image for parts of the dress shirts below.
A narrow high precision tip is designed on some models. Its purpose is to reach difficult areas of the shirt such as in between collars and cuffs, pleats around fastenings, on pockets and armholes. It is also useful while ironing the box plate between consecutive buttons on a dress shirt. See the reference image below for further clarification.
Most of the wrinkles on the dress shirt’s fabric don’t require much steam to smoothen. Although optimum steam is required for a nice finish. Steam rate ranges from 30G/min to 200G/min or more. But for pressing shirts, the steam rate of 50G/min is enough. In our list, all steam irons have a decent steam rate.
Temperature and steam control
Different fabrics require different temperatures and steam to iron properly. High temperatures may burn out the fabric while high steam may leave unwanted spots on shirts. So choose iron which has a dedicated knob or digital presets for controlling temperature and steam.
The greater the power, the faster it will be heated up. The normal power range is enough for a steam iron, you are going to pick for dress shirts.
In wired steam irons, cord length cannot be ignored in any case. If your iron board is at some distance from the power switch then you need a long cord and vice versa. So look for it while choosing your iron.
Take a look at this interesting video on how to steam iron a dress shirt in no time:
Check out these interesting models available on today’s market:
- Steammaster steam iron features 1400 watts of power, large stainless steel nonstick soleplate, large water tank, and anti-drip system to prevent water leakage at any temperature setting
- Clothes iron has a Shot of Steam feature for an extra burst of steam on flat surfaces or vertically hanging clothes or draperies
- 3-Way Motion Smart auto-off for safety and peace of mind
- Self-clean system keeps iron free of mineral deposits for optimal performance
- Measures 14L x 6.2W x 6.3H inches, weighs 3 pounds. 8-foot retractable cord; 3-year limited
- TrueGlide Nonstick Soleplate - The enhanced nonstick soleplate is engineered to glide smoothly across all types of fabrics
- SmartSteam Technology - Take the guesswork out of ironing. SmartSteam automatically optimizes the amount of steam based on the temperature you select
- Anti-Drip - The iron is engineered to prevent dripping by closely regulating water temperatures
- Spray Mist - The push-button mister helps moisten fabrics to quickly smooth away deep wrinkles
- Automatic Shutoff - For added peace of mind, the iron shuts off when left unattended for 30 seconds on its side or soleplate, and after 8 minutes on the heel rest
- MULTI DIRECTIONAL IRONING – The streamlined, ergonomic profile and elliptical soleplate glide in any direction to smooth-out wrinkles, reach between buttons, make short work of collars, cuffs and...
- CURVED NON-STICK ALUMITE SOLEPLATE – Highly scratch resistant large, curved, smooth, non-stick alumite (anodized aluminum) soleplate for effortless gliding
- ADJUSTABLE STEAM & DRY SETTINGS – Set to HIGH for heavier and everyday fabrics, LOW for more delicate fabrics and quick, easy touch-ups or choose DRY for easy ironing when no steam is needed
- PRECISION FABRIC TEMPERATURE DIAL - 1700 Watts of power and a five-setting temperature control dial to maintain the perfect level of heat for linen, cotton, wool, silk, or acrylic fabrics
- SAFETY AUTO SHUT OFF – Automatically turns itself off between 60sec to 10 minutes depending on the position of the soleplate
- CUT YOUR IRONING TIME IN HALF: Maytag’s M1400 Iron reaches max temperature in less than a minute, much faster than traditional irons Plus, it only takes 3 seconds for steam to regenerate - the...
- VERTICAL STEAM: With 3 adjustable steam settings (continuous steam, steam burst, and water spray), now you can steam out wrinkles on your hanging garments too - curtains, upholstery, and more The...
- DIGITAL THERMOSTAT: 4 temperature settings (from heavy cotton to delicate silk), allow for specialty fabrics - Linen, Cotton, Silk, Wool, Nylon, or Synthetic; simply press the digital display for...
- REMOVABLE WATER TANK: The best part, this iron comes with a removeable water tank, the iron can be filled over and over, even while the iron is still hot!
- INCLUDES: 1500-Watt; 81oz tank capacity, 360-degree swivel 8ft cord, and backed by a manufacturer’s 2-year warranty
- CERAMIC SOLEPLATE W/ PRECISION TIP - Consists of an aluminum layer for fast even heat, an enamel layer for an ultra-smooth glide across even the most delicate fabrics, and a precision-point tip for...
- BURST OF STEAM - Ergonomic steam trigger on underside of handle releases powerful burst of steam (110 g/Min); 1800 W. of power
- 50% MORE STEAM - Removable calc collector produces up to 50% more steam, making it easy to efficiently remove wrinkles from all types of fabric, including cotton, linen, silk, and wool
- USER-FRIENDLY FEATURES - Vertical steam for hanging garments; anti-drip system; extra-large water inlet for easy filling; self-cleaning system
- SAFETY COMES FIRST WITH T-FAL - 3-way auto-off feature shuts iron off after 8 Min. of inactivity on heel and 30 Sec. on soleplate or tipped over on its side
- Why Is This The Ultimate Steamer In The USA: We designed it to be the absolutely most powerful and continuous superheated steamer available producing up to 30% more steam flow as compared in testing...
- User-friendly Steaming: 4 level steam adjustment controls high-pressured steam for an easy, effective, and efficient steaming experience along with its woven hose, deluxe clothes hangar and fabric...
- Burn Prevention Safety Cap: Prevents opening the water tank when there is hot steam or water inside that can cause skin burns.
- Money Back Guarantee - When you order your garment steamer today, you're protected by PurSteam's money back guarantee and world class customer service!
- Ultimate Ironing Accessory - This steamer is excellent for use with the attached hanger and also is the ultimate in ironing accessories.